The Grip on a Worn-Out Clutch
**Common Car Faults: The Grip on a Worn-Out Clutch**
Integral to manual transmissions, the clutch bridges the connection between the engine and the gearbox. A functioning clutch ensures a smooth drive, while a failing one can make gear shifts a nightmare.
With a significant number of UK drivers still favouring manual transmissions, clutch issues are not uncommon. Recent statistics indicate that clutch replacements or repairs account for about 7% of major mechanical fixes in manual vehicles across the UK.
**Symptoms of a Worn-out Clutch**:
1. **Difficulty in changing gears**: A clear sign, especially if the gears were previously easy to shift.
2. **Slipping out of gear**: The vehicle might unexpectedly pop out of a selected gear.
3. **Burning smell**: Often likened to the scent of burning rubber or toast.
4. **Clutch pedal feels soft or spongy**: The pedal might not return to its usual position after being depressed.
**Understanding the Causes**:
– **Normal wear and tear**: Like most components, clutches wear out over time due to regular friction.
– **Driving habits**: Riding the clutch or frequent stop-and-go driving can hasten its wear.
– **Oil contamination**: If engine or gearbox oil leaks onto the clutch, it can reduce its effectiveness.
**DIY Fixes and When to Consult a Professional**:
1. **Adjusting the clutch cable**: If the clutch isn’t disengaging properly, adjusting the cable might solve the problem. However, many modern vehicles use hydraulic clutches which don’t have adjustable cables.
2. **Drive mindfully**: Avoid riding the clutch or using it unnecessarily, as this can prolong its lifespan.
3. **Check for leaks**: Look for signs of oil around the bottom of the bell housing.
4. **Professional help**: Clutch replacements are intricate and often require special tools. If you suspect your clutch is failing, consult a mechanic sooner rather than later.
**Fun Fact**: Did you know? The word “clutch” is derived from the Old English word “clyccan”, meaning “to clasp or grip”. Quite fitting for a component that’s all about grip and connection!
The cost for clutch replacement varies from vehicle to vehicle, parts are usually the cheapest part of the job, and the bulk of the replacement is usually in the labour. Clutch jobs can be very complex depending on your vehicle. Our sales advisors are fully trained to give you an accurate estimate of the cost of replacing a clutch. We only ever use known recommended brands for the parts we supply and all our jobs come with a guarantee, usually 2 years or 20,000 miles whichever comes first. As one of our sales advisors for more information. Don’t forget we can also offer to spread the cost of larger car repair bills over 4 months, interest-free without affecting your credit score find out more by visiting our Payment Assist Page.
Unit 17 Norton Canes Business Park
Norton Green Lane
Norton Canes, Cannock
01543 27 60 60
|Monday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Tuesday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||08:00 - 17:00|